On July 12, 1886 a group of profane and some freemasons called by Mr. Don Jaime Noguera decided to found a private home for beggars named “La Misericordia”, residing in the asylum itself, located on the road of Buenos Aires. three and five in the neighborhood of Cerro Municipality today.
In its first Regulation the purposes of the nascent Institution are included:
- First to rid the human being of the misery that forces begging, deprives of home and precipitates vice.
- Second Provide the comfortable asylee with shelter, decent clothing and abundant and healthy food.
- Third Provide also spiritual and medical assistance.
- Fourth Propender that the asylees abandon their vices, exciting them to the good, giving them the suitable instruction and providing them occupation, according to their aptitudes, inside or outside the establishment.
“They will be admitted, provided that they are older than twenty years and without distinction of race, sex and age, all individuals who need public charity to live, although this is a consequence of vices, therefore, all those who lack a dwelling , sleep or install in the portals, squares and walks, overnight in the municipal building and those that are sent by competent authority. “
It is an arduous task that is proposed by the founders headed by Mr. Jaime Noguera Rosés who put an idea, name, money and effort to raise and operate the asylum in such difficult conditions, for that he deserves our gratitude, admiration and respect.
In the first decade of the twentieth century comes to form part of the Directive V. ·. H. ·. Enrique Llansó Simoni and with him other brothers. The economic situation in the first years of the Republic is precarious and as it is natural it is reflected in the asylum “La Misericordia”, has debts, the owners of the building want to demolish it to sell the land, the Asylum is in a desperate economic crisis for some years.
In July of 1917 a Board of Directors is constituted totally integrated by freemasons, presided over by the V. · .H. ·. Enrique Llansó Simoni and the collaboration of the following brothers:
V. · .H. ·. Enrique Varela Cárdenas, First Vice President
V. · .H. ·. Luis M. Sabater del Pozo, Second Vice President
V. · .H. ·. José M. Estapó Pagés, Accountant
V. · .H. ·. Pablo Yodú Hernández, Treasurer
V. · .H. ·. Antonio Rabbit Caro, Secretary
And as Directors the following VV. H H.·. Antonio de la Piedra González, Antonio Ruíz Rodríguez, Francisco Sánchez Curbelo, Gerardo Betancourt, Aurelio Silvera, Juan de la Cruz Alsina, Aurelio Miranda Alvarez, Fernando Figueredo Socarrás, José Escandell Pujol, Federico de la Paz, Felix V. Preval, José Luis Hevia, Federico S. Gispert, Lisardo Mufloz Sanudo, Pompilio Escobar, Erasmo Regueiferos Boudet, Calixto Fajardo Roselló, Carlos Francisco M. Fernandez, José Santiago, Antonio Escandell Moré, Daniel Gispert, José Escandell Moré, Pericles Sorís de la Torre, Miguel González Ferrer, Antonio Hidalgo, Tomás Frías, Gregorio Menéndez, Gregorio Alonso, José Couriel, Celestino Suárez, Dionisio Peón Cuesta, Ciro Nestre Boltá, Hermenegildo Landa Varela, Ramón Garganta Puig, Francisco de Paula Rodríguez and Valdés, Andrés Avelino Orta.
Administrator: Calixto Fajardo Roselló.
The first problem that confronted the new directive was the building where the Asylum “La Misericordia” was located, which did not maintain the indispensable conditions for its normal development, the indebtedness of several monthly payments and that of the owners who wanted to tear down the building to sell the land and take better advantage. The new directive headed by V. · .H. ·. Llansó is given the task of reorganizing the Asylum and decide to build a more appropriate building. They acquired thousands of meters of land at km 9 of the Bejucal highway and on Sunday, February 8, the new asylum “La Misericordia” was inaugurated. In the decade of the 50s, several “cottages” were built for sheltered couples.
Throughout its history, thousands of hostels have paraded through its pavilions, some of them, who in previous times had enjoyed numerous fortunes, as is the case of the eminent Cuban mason and owner of tobacco factories in Tampa and Key West. , Remigio López, who lived and died in the Asylum. There lived the widows of the unforgettable brothers Calixto Fajardo and Miguel de la Torre, also died in the “Asilo” the mother of the unforgettable Cuban baseball pitcher José de la Caridad Méndez, known for “The Black Diamond”.
Linked to the Asylum as advisers were the venerable brothers Martín Herrera and José Dolores Poyo, friends and collaborators of José Martí. In the asylum, there was also a night school for workers and a day school for children as well as a “Yoga School”
Upon the death of Illustrious Ex-Grand Master Enrique Llansó Simoni, which took place on Tuesday, July 5, 1932, he was renamed Asilo “La Misericordia” by the Masonic National Home “Llansó” in honor of the illustrious Mason.
At present, the Asylum has the capacity to house 90 Masons or family members of Freemasons. It has also been built in the cemetery of Arroyo Naranjo, where the Asilo is located, a modest Pantheon exclusively for asylees whose relatives request it.
Currently, the Lodges of the Jurisdiction send donations to the Asylum and also receive donations in cash and in medicines from friendly Grand Lodges that help sustain a work that is the pride of the Cuban Masonry of yesterday, today and forever.